© Yankee Harvest, LLC
Yankee Halloween Presents
HALLOWEEN APPLE SPICE CAKE RECIPE
Makes 16 to 18 servings to family, friends and Halloween ghosts.
Before you start this recipe, open your pantry and kitchen cupboard doors and check inside for Ghosts or Goblins...!
2 large fresh eggs (Check Date)
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups molasses
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
4 3/4 cups cake flour
2 teaspoon salt (plain or iodized)
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground mace
2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 tart fresh apples such as Granny Smith, Fuji or Winesaps
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 cup fresh yogurt (Check Date)
1 cup fresh sour cream (Check Date)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or semi-sweet bars cut into small pieces.
- Open your oven door and carefully check inside for Ghosts or Goblins...!
- Then preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly oil two (2) 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking pans.
- Combine the molasses, butter, and coffee in a medium-size saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. As soon as it boils, remove from the heat. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and let cool to lukewarm.
- Sift the flour, salt, spices, and baking soda together onto a large piece of waxed paper.
- Core, peel, and halve the apples, then slice them into 1/4-inch thick slices. Line the prepared pans with the apples slices, slightly overlapping them. Sprinkle them with the brown sugar.
- Whisk the eggs into the molasses mixture. Add the dry ingredients and mix quickly but thoroughly. Then add the yogurt and sour cream, mixing just until it is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips, and then pour the cake batter over the apple slices, evenly between both baking pans.
- Bake in the center of the oven until the cake is mounded in the center and your finger leaves a slight indentation when you touch it, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and transfer to wire racks to cool to before serving. Serve to family and Halloween ghosts at room temperature.
- To serve the Halloween Apple Spice cake, cut the cooled cake into pieces and turn them out of the pan upside down, so the apple slices are on top, or turn the entire cake out upside down onto a large serving platter and serve.
Makes 16 to 18 delicious and tasty servings to family, friends and Halloween ghosts.
Please enjoy this recipe and have a very happy and safe Halloween and Holiday season.
"There is no exercise better for the heart
Return to Yankee Halloween Recipes Main Page
than reaching down and lifting people up."
|NEW! Yankee Gazette Newsletter|
If you would like to be kept informed of new product additions to our web sites, and take advantage of unadvertised, subscriber-only special sales and promotions, then the Yankee Gazette newsletter is for you.
Don't be caught "out of the loop", click here to learn more or sign up now.
GHASTLY RECIPE NOTE: Gravy Master® - We have been informed by many ghostly visitors to these wonderful graveyard recipes, that they are unable to find Gravy Master at their local grocery morgue store. If you find that to be the case, we now offer Gravy Master for sale, on-line at the Yankee Grocery country store. Gravy Master is a New England Quality product and tradition...! Gravy Master in its unique glass bottle, has been on haunting New England pantry shelves since 1935.
Lots More Great Stuff in our Graveside Store!
Visit our Pumpkin Masters Page
Visit the Yankee Gardener Pumpkin Patch
Please review our Ordering Information and policies
To place a product order you may order on-line, or please use our PDF order form. Please note that the form requires you have Adobe Acrobat® Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the free Adobe Acrobat® Reader, please follow the link below to download it.
Download Printable Order Form
Download the Free Acrobat® Reader
Return to Yankee Halloween Home Page